Create interactive seating plans to suit any venue. 'Interactive' means that during the booking process the person can choose a specific seat or seats. Theater style events, such as concerts and musicals, use interactive seating plans as the seats are static in location and are generally already numbered (unlike tabled events, where tables do not generally have pre-existing numbers).
Learn how to create these plans yourself.
- How to create an interactive seating plan
- Exporting and Importing seating plans
- How to reserve seats
- Editing the stage
- Adding Doors to your plan
- Adding merchandise to a seated event
Tabled events are not covered in this topic but please refer to our guide for Setting Up a Tabled Event.
Creating interactive seating plans
If you plan to use a seating plan more than once, we recommend that you create it as a Venue Template (see templates on the dashboard). This ensures that you only create it once, check it and that it is then ready for use each time you create.
When you created your event, you may have selected a seating plan or told Vanco Events how many rows and seats you required. This plan can now be found within your event, from Allocation, and selecting Seat / Space. If the plan is completely wrong and you wish to commence again, go to Sections and add a new section (making sure you select Seat). Once created, you can remove the original incorrect section.
From Seat / Space you can:
- Edit your seating plan adding or deleting rows and seats (via the buttons).
- Add in aisles or walkways (via selecting 'Mark Seat' as 'Space with No Number').
- Remove seats in a row and keep your numbers in sequence on available seats (via selecting 'Mark Seat' as 'Space with No Number').
- Remove seats and have the seat numbers jump in numbering sequence (via selecting 'Mark Seats' as 'Space with Number').
- Add rows so that rows start with a number greater than zero (via adding a row and defining the seats in that row and what number it starts from).
- Hide seats where seats may jump numbers without leaving a space.
- Mark wheelchair accessible seating.
- Change row names.
- Reserve seats (if you are on the event).
If your plan has aisles or walkways, add additional rows or seats to allow you to mark these seats as, for example, 'Space with No Number', to allow for the aisle.
If your venue has different levels or has a balcony where your seats are at 90' to the stalls or your venue is a theatre in the round, we may recommend that you create your interactive seating plan as sections and add a header to illustrate the overall venue layout.
Exporting and importing venue templates
Seating plans can only be imported and exported from Venue Templates and not into the event directly. Your Venue Template must be in place prior to creating your event and is then importing into your event during the event set up.
If you hire your venue to others and you wish for them to provide their own ticketing, you can ensure that they have the correct plan by exporting off your plan and sharing it with them.
Exporting a venue template
- Select Venue in Templates.
- Select the venue you wish to export.
- Click on Export Venue and save this file.
This file is a special type of file and can only be viewed or used via Vanco Events.
Importing a venue template
- Select templates and Venues
- Locate the words on this main page "To upload a venue template, click here."
- Click and upload your exported venue plan.
Seats can be placed on reserve via the Seat / Space on your event. Any seats you place on reserve will show as booked when going through Make a Booking or the direct URL. There are 2 colored reserved seats, allowing you to color code those for VIPs vs staff etc.
How to Reserve:
- From Seat / Space.
- Click Edit seating plan.
- Select Mark Seat as selecting the reserve type seat.
- Click on the seats you wish to now reserve and save.
If you make a mistake, select Mark Seat as Available and click on the seat once more, changing its color back.
Editing the stage
By default, the stage always appears as a fixed shape and size at the top of your seating plan. The image provides guidance to the seating direction and/or orientation where the seats may be located to the side of the stage. You may also be using your seating plan for an ice rink, sporting arena or movie screen.
As it's an HTML editor, you can insert image, orientate or add words.
Editing the stage:
- From Seat / Space on the event or within the Venue Template.
- Click Edit Stage.
- Make adjustments and Save.
- Reconfirm that wheelchair places are spaces only and have NO seat in that location.
- Disclose any access issues.
- Rows X to XXX are flat floor vs remaining rows being tiered seating
- Location of the orchestra/piano etc.
For speed on entry, it's important that when you have more than 1 door, multiple levels and doors are required to indicate the door on the patrons' ticket.
Adding door names to the seating plan
Adding Door Names:
- From Seat / Space.
- Select Edit Door List.
- Add the door name, row, and which seats.
- Once all seats are entered, click Validate Seats to ensure you haven't missed a seat. Click Save.
Adding merchandise to your seated event
We will work you through two alternate ways to set up merchandise as part of your concert ticket sales. When selecting seats, we need to keep this in sync with the number of tickets selected. Option 1 will allow you the greatest flexibility for multiple purchases and maintaining your merchandise items to be open for sale prior to and after your concert ticket sales. Option 2 is simple and works well when you have limited merchandise options and where your merchandise options will open and close with concert ticket sales.
Option 1 - Setting merchandise items to be open prior to or after your show tickets
These steps below allow you to add in merchandise (like DVD orders) to your event being published to your audience, establishing one link that will be used to order both concert tickets and merchandise options. This option ensures you the greatest flexibility in adding multiple merchandise items.
- Create your event with all your session times for the show dates/times.
- Go to Session times and Add a New Session time (which has a session date and time after your last show date/time). Save this new session time.
- Open this new session time back up and move to the tab called Options. Tick the box and add in the words (for example) 'DVD Orders only.' People will see the following screen (pictured below) when clicking through on your event.
- We now need to set up a pricing group for the DVD orders. To set up a new pricing option, please click on your event on the dashboard, Your Event, Pricing Groups and Add a New Pricing Group, calling it 'DVD orders.'
- Click on your 'DVD Orders Pricing group' and you will now need to add in your ticket prices for the DVD orders. You may add one price if there is only one choice for orders or if you have various shows on offer or products, please add in the number of ticket types required.
- We now need to create a new section without a seating plan for DVD orders. From the dashboard select your Event, Sections, Add in a new section call it DVD orders and make sure you say it's a SPACE allocation with a high capacity. Click Save.
- It's now time to link your prices to the DVD date and close off some sections. Click on your event on the dashboard and Pricing Schema. Each date will have all sections but the bottom date is your merchandise items. Against each DVD Section, drop down the pricing group listing and select the DVD order pricing group.
Against the section (on your show session times) mark the status of the DVD orders to HIDDEN.
- Against the Session time of your DVD (the last date) change the Status to HIDDEN on the Concert Tickets line as per below.
- Check your work. Click on Make a booking and confirm that you have the setup you need so that people who select a concert ticket will see only the seating plan, and so that those who select the DVD option see no seating plan.
Option 2 - Setting up a combination ticket type.
If you have one merchandise option, you may wish to set up a combination type ticket ie Adult + DVD with the price being the combination of both items.